Monday, June 1, 2009

Where do the years go?!?!

When I was 17 I worked as a counter girl at Dunkin' Donuts. I was in high school, trying to make some money (the honest way), my whole life ahead of me. There were many regulars that came in and spent hours shooting the bull with their pals, over a cup of plain old coffee and a donut. There were no espressos, no lattes, none of that stuff. Your only choice was regular or decaf. Ah, the good old days.....
Nothing made the regulars happier than giving them the "Hey Norm" recognition like from Cheers and having their cup of coffee ready for them before they made it to the end of the counter.
Fast forward.....I am married, my husband is going to RIT and I am trying to support us through varying jobs. One of my jobs is at a local greasy diner serving breakfasts. In walks one of the regulars from my previous life. All I am thinking is, please God, don't let him recognize me. So here we go. He says "Hey, you look familiar, where do I know you from"? My heart sinks. I tell him from where. Then, he couldn't leave well enough alone, he has to ask...."Wow, how long ago was that?" Here is where the pain of growing older hurts. My response, over 10 years ago. I think I was more embarrassed and sad than anything else. Let's reflect on where we've come in ten plus years. Oh boy, serving coffee and donuts all the way to serving coffee and breakfasts. Thankfully, I am not one of those little old hair net ladies still pouring the coffee wearing their orthopedics. It was a pitiful reminder of needing to have purpose in where I am going and trying to make the most of every day.

2 comments:

Pink Slippers said...

Those are the best place to eat though.

Diane said...

Better to eat there then work there.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin