Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Five Little Words

Barn, excited, red, eggs & snicklefritz..... !

These are the five words the most adorable Jeanette offered to me to incorporate into a story. If anyone is feeling game and wants me to pass on five words to them, just let me know. I guess for me, this is a test of sorts..... So here goes:
Brother and sister run hurriedly out to the barn, both eager and excited to see if this was going to be the big day. Sister holds the red basket tightly in her anxious hands, wondering if the chickens are finally mature enough to lay their first eggs.

The chickens were a welcome addition to the lone cow Mildred, that enjoyed her home here at the farm. They all had agreed, Mildred needed company.

Upon entering the barn, they look all around the stalls on a scavenger hunt of sorts to find that first golden brown egg. Brother sees it! Over in the cow's stall he spies the perfectly shaped egg sitting atop a pile of hay. He lets out a yelp of excitement and both he and sister scurry in to get the egg.

"No Mildred!" both children shout at the same time. She has accidentally eaten the egg along with her breakfast. It is like a balloon of joy has burst apart and both children hang their heads in sorrow over what they have just witnessed.

Unexpectedly, Mildred begins making some gurgling noises and all of a sudden "snicklefritz"! A noise erupts from her that the children have never heard before, and out regurgitates the broken up egg and some hay.

Both children laugh and hurriedly run back to the house to tell Mother their latest discovery. Mother smiles and says, "well, that's one way to make scrambled eggs in the morning!"

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! it's so YOU!

Precious Gems said...

Just wrote a blog you might find interesting. Take a peek!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Diane: I have somethng for you on my blog...

Andrea said...

Great post!
Blessings, andrea

Tamika: said...

I love the ending!

Linda Kage said...

How cute. That was really fun to read. And I liked hte idea of challenging yourself to write an excerpt with five words someone gave you. I'm gonna have to try it!

Kelly said...

Aren't you clever? Great job!

Anonymous said...

My grandpa had a barn with chickens. Brings back fond memories. My brother and I would take eggs home and place them in an incubator in our garage. We ended up with a rooster and three hens.

Since we lived within city limits, our neighbors called the police because a rooster would crow before the sun came up. So we took them back to grandpa's farm.

Stephen Tremp

CMOM Productions said...

Love it, but I'm not up for those scrambled eggs. Ha ha! :)

Jessica Nelson said...

Haahaa! Was snickelfritz one of the words? Too funny...

Bina said...

LOVE it... Pass me some verbage as that looks like much fun!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

That was fantastic! The ending was definitely unexpected!

Karen said...

Great story with those words! Clever, clever, Diane. :) Sure, I'm up for words, send'em on! Gulp...

Angie Muresan said...

Just five words? That is challenging! Yet you did it, and entertained us in the process too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin