Monday, November 23, 2009

Uncle Cal

Every family has the older, wiser members that at times can come off a little cranky. One of my earliest memories of my Uncle Cal is from when I was about 9 or 10, my daughter's age now. She reminds me a lot of myself, VERY inquisitive and persistent in the Q & A department. Side note on my own persistence..... growing up Catholic, I was very fascinated with the offering envelopes. I would look at my parents, want to put my own money in and ultimately drop it in the offering plate as it was passed. No greater goal could a child have in my mind, then to have their very own envelopes. Week after week, as we were leaving the church, I would greet the Father and then pester this poor man on how I needed my own envelopes. I can only imagine now, my parents embarrassment at my badgering. Ultimately, I began to cut and glue together my own envelopes that I wrote my own name and number on. Finally, I wore that poor man down, and my very own envelopes arrived. Could there have been a happier day? Ironically, two weeks later we started attending a new church........Oh yea.

Back to Uncle Cal...... the memory of him that has never left me and probably has shaped me into the person I am today, started out innocently enough. Uncle Cal and another adult were discussing their jobs and different aspects that a 10 year old can not understand. After listening to their exchange, I pipe in, "Well, when I grow up I am going to get a job and I am going to love it and make lots of money and be happy." Innocent enough, right? Uncle Cal feels the need to set me straight, and in his low gruff voice informs me that you don't work to like it, or be happy or even make a lot of money. You get a job to work and that's it. I was speechless. I could not believe that this was the reality of how working.... well, worked. I determined in my heart that as soon as I turned 16, I would go out and get my first "real" job and continue on my quest until every possible stone was turned to find my ideal job, and that's exactly what I did.

How about you, still searching or has your dream job been discovered and now being pursued?

17 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Considering people spend more time at work than with their family, it's kind of sad when people can't find work they enjoy on some level.

My brother is a jet engine mechanic and just changed jobs about a year ago. Now he is always saying how much he loves his job and where he works. It's so nice to hear. :)

Tamika: said...

After two years of intense prayer I've found my dream job. And I'm never quitting.

Writing is the best gig I've ever had.

Karen G. said...

My dream job was to be a mom first and I hopefully have succeed at that. My second job was to be a teacher and I went through college to get there. When I was almost done, doors closed and at this time I probably won't finish. In reality, I've always been a teacher at heart anyway. First in teaching my children as they grew up about all the things life has for them and then being used at church and now tutoring. In perspective I guess I've met my goal without realizing it. Sometimes things don't happen the way we think they should but they turn out better.... Thanks also for your thoughts on perspective that you posted on FB. Love you, girl!

Linda Kage said...

I love the church donation story...and I'm glad you received your own envelopes. Aww, happy ending!

I think I'm one of those determined people that think I want one thing and yet later discover something else satisfies me more.

My biggest dream job ever was to be a published author. That's about to come true, so I get to see pretty soon how well it pays off in the sasifaction area.

But I'm also about to be a parent. I've always kinda worried about being a mother, because of that possibility of ruining a kid's life by raising her wrong. But now that's she's on her way, and I'm feeling her grow and develope, I already feel a lifetime worth of satisfaction. It's truly amazing. I feel so blessed.

Teri said...

I too had a gruff Uncle Cal...actually he was my dad's uncle and he was a dairy farmer. He wore denim overalls until the day he died, in his late 80's. He loved his job, although I'm sure that on occasion 4:00 am was a little too early.

I love my job. I work with great people. Of course, staying home with my kids would be better but right now I know that paying the bills to keep a roof over their heads is more important. Of course, that job is the best I'll ever have. Love the little tikes! :)

Angie Muresan said...

I am extremely thankful for my parents and my husband for allowing me to be in school and get my degrees to pursue what I wanted. After 15 years of working at my job (as a provider in mental health), I have burned out, and now I'm trying to concentrate on what I had considered my hobby: my writing.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know it 20 years when I had my first son but many knocks on the head later I have my dream job as a homemaker. I never thought being a stay at home mom was good enough, always searching for something to do in addition to being a homemaker. 10 years ago when I had my 3rd son I realized that being a stay at home mom was a blessing and something to be embraced. My time will come again when I decide to go back to the work force but for now I am content with being at home full time. (not to mention I get the privilege of homeschooling my youngest and also pursuing art)

Nancy said...

I have my best "job" now because I'm watching my new grandson. Can't think of any I've had that were better.

I love your envelope story. How sweet that you wanted to give and that you wanted it to be special. I love the tenacity.

Jenni James said...

Poor Uncle Cal...

And I agree with you 100% you need to find something that makes you happy. It's no use doing something that'll make you miseable, no ammount of money is worth it.

And er, the envelope story was funny!

Patti said...

I'm still searching. I love being a mom and that will never end but eventually they'll need me less and less.

Jill Kemerer said...

I was always fascinated with the envelopes at church too. Oh, and checkbooks. Could anything be cooler? :)

erica m. chapman said...

That's hilarious about the envelopes! Sounds like you were a smart kid- who wouldn't want their own envelopes? LOL

Dream job for me- at this point is writing full time. I like marketing too. I wanted to be an advertising copywriter, so if I could do that and write books. I'd be happy on the job front :o)

I know one thing- my dream job is not the one I'm doing now... oh well, I will find it someday :o)

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I think writing is my dream job. And sure isn't paying anything now.

Terri Tiffany said...

I've have several dream jobs-- a counselor, owning a Christian bookstore and now a writer. But it makes it harder during this economy especially to settel for a job that isn't a dream one. But we do what we have to!

San said...

I think the trick is to realize even the "dream job" involves some drudgery and disappointment. In general, I love my work. I look forward to going to my gallery. I savor my time at the easel. But sometimes it's all just a job.

mommanator said...

so what is the perfect job!

Kelly L said...

I know what you mean - Great post!

Love to you.
Kelly
http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin